In 2017, Gov. Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency as part of Maryland’s efforts to deal with the opioid crisis.
More than two years later, a new report shows those efforts appear to be working.
- Opioid-related deaths dropped 11.1% in the first half of 2019 — from 1,193 to 1,060 — compared with the same period a year before, according to the state’s Health Department and Opioid Operational Command Center.
- Unintentional intoxication deaths totaled 1,182, a decrease of 11.3% from the first half of 2018, when they totaled 1,332.
- Heroin-related deaths were down by 14.9% during the same period, from 471 to 401.
- Prescription opioid deaths were down by 3.5%, from 202 to 195.
- Fentanyl-related deaths, too, were down by 7.8% compared with the year before, from 1,043 to 962.
“Though the continued decline in fatal overdoses is welcome news, the heroin and opioid epidemic remains a crisis and we will continue to respond with all the tools at our disposal,” Hogan said in a statement.
Knocking down those numbers even further will involve targeting fentanyl. Of all opioid-related deaths during the first half of 2019, it was involved in 90.8% of them, according to the report.
3 days, 11 hours ago
Cuomo Victim-Blames On COVID: ‘If You Didn’t Eat The Cheesecake, You Wouldn’t Have A Weight Problem’
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo seemingly blamed victims of COVID-19 for their illness
6 days, 10 hours ago
Gov. Tate Reeves proposes phasing out Mississippi state income tax
Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves said that the state should phase out its individual income tax by 2030 to attract new residents and businesses that could boost economic growth.
6 days, 11 hours ago
New York coronavirus nursing home death total still hidden by Cuomo administration
DOJ asked for a full count in August
1 week ago
California governor went to party, violated own virus rules
For months, Gov. Gavin Newsom has pleaded with Californians to resist the temptation to socialize with friends and relatives outside their household. Turns out, he's the one who couldn't resist.
1 week ago
Terry McAuliffe Plans To Run For Governor of Virginia Again
Terry McAuliffe is telling friends he'll announce plans to again run for governor of Virginia in the coming weeks.